Saturday, February 5, 2011

Forgiveness

For my online New Testament class we have the option to write a blog about what we learn. Here is what I have learned.

In 2 Corinthians the people of Corinth were commanded to forgive. "But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all." (2 Cor. 2:5)
I'm not sure if I totally understand this verse, but I will take a whack at it. If any of the people caused grief among others forgiveness is in order. It is a like turning the other cheek and if one person wrongs you, you should forgive them.

The blessing that we receive for forgiving others is God will forgive our trespasses. (Matt. 6:14-15) The Lord reminds us in D&C 64:9-10 that it is God's right to forgive whom he wants, but we need to forgive everyone.

If we choose not to forgive others the Lord will not forgive us of our trespasses and Satan will have an easier time getting to us because we are doing as the Lord commands.

I can personally vouch for the blessing of forgiveness. In my life I have done many stupid things that I needed to repent for and each time I could feel the Lord forgiving me for my trespasses. Being forgiven is the most amazing feeling. The atonement is real, and I know what the Lord admonishes in the scriptures we should heed. It is hard in these days to not become hard-hearted from all of the wickedness going on around us. But if we do as the Lord wills things will turn out for the better. Not only for ourselves, but for the people who we forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment